Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"Rustic" Buttermilk Biscuits

I haven't been cooking much recently, but this morning I was inspired by a surprise ingredient in the family fridge: buttermilk! My dad bought some to make avocado soup, and it was just sitting there waiting to be whipped into some delicious buttermilk biscuits. I had never made these before, but when you're baking for someone with low standards (me!), I find that all you need to do is get some ingredients kinda mixed and in the oven, and you'll end up with something edible.

I used a recipe I found at food.com entitled "Southern Buttermilk Biscuits" (http://southern.food.com/recipe/southern-buttermilk-biscuits-26110).  

It was really easy and required almost no ingredients. My only problem was that I cut the butter chunks too big, so then they were huge and the dough (batter?) was really sticky and hard to work with. Also I had no circle cutter. Ultimately they looked nothing like the picture but tasted great. Case in point: you don't have to get better at baking, you just have to expect less from the results!


If I look at this picture too long, it looks like they're crawling towards me

Rating: 7/10

Prep Time: The recipe says 22 minutes, but recipe writers are always trying to impress you with their culinary skills when they estimate these things. More like 30 minutes. But still perfect as an "afternoon quickie"!

Difficulty: 4/10

5 comments:

  1. Yummm. Almost was tempted to buy buttermilk biscuits today at stop & shop. bought strawberries instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like scones, though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Martin everything about this was so you and perfect and I miss you! Also didn't know buttermilk biscuits were a thing but they look sooo good. And I weirdly get what you're saying about them crawling towards you in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realized the picture caption. HAHAH omg scary.

    ReplyDelete